By Scott Lorenz
Have you ever attended a writers’ conference? Here’s why you may want to consider adding one to your calendar.
A writers’ conference is a think tank for authors to build on each other’s ideas and inspire new achievements in their own work. For the cost of lodging and registration, the payoff for attending a writers’ conference could be tremendous.
Attending a writers’ conference gives you a chance to pitch your book, learn about the various publishing options and meet book editors, agents, and book marketing specialists. If your book is six months or a year from being finished, you can talk to people with valuable input on shaping your book. At a writers’ conference, you’ll get all sorts of advice to help you wrap up your project when you return home.
Of course, you will want to prepare for any writers’ conference you attend by having a plan of what you want to find out and what you will do while there. I suggest you develop an ‘elevator pitch’ about your book that you can deliver in 30 seconds. Have a one-pager available with your book cover, author headshot, short 50-word synopsis, short bio, website URL, Twitter handle and your contact information. You never know who you’ll meet so be prepared for that moment!
Here are some upcoming writers’ conferences in 2019 for your consideration
- February 23, 2019: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- March 2, 2019: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- March 8, 2019: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- March 9, 2019: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 30, 2019: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 5-7, 2019: The Muse & the Marketplace Writers Conference (Boston, MA)
- April 6, 2019: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 13, 2019: North Carolina Writers Workshop (Charlotte, NC)
- April 26, 2019: Kentucky Writers Conference (Bowling Green, KY)
- April 27, 2019: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 2-4, 2019: Las Vegas Writers Conference (Las Vegas, NV)
- May 3-4, 2019: Northern Colorado Writers Conference (Fort Collins, CO)
- May 4, 2019: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- May 9-11, 2019: Storymakers Conference (Provo, UT)
- May 10-11 2019: Washington Writers Conference (North Bethesda, MD)
- May 17-19, 2019: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- May 17-19, 2019: Missouri Writers Guild (Cape Girardeau, MO)
- June 16-21, 2019: Santa Barbara Writers Conference (Santa Barbara, CA)
- June 29, 2019: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- July 28-August 2, 2019: Napa Valley Writers Conference (St. Helena, CA)
- August 1-3, 2019: Mendocino Coast Writers Conference (Mendocino, CA)
- August 3, 2019: Tennessee Writers Workshop (Nashville, TN)
- August 22-25, 2019: Killer Nashville Writers Conference (Franklin, TN)
- August 23-25, 2019: Writer’s Digest Conference (New York, NY)
- October 25-27, 2019: La Jolla Writers Conference (San Diego, CA)
- October 12-13, 2019: James River Writers Conference (Richmond, VA)
- November 23, 2019: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
Select a writers’ conference of interest to you and be prepared to enjoy the benefits of meeting other writers, acquiring knowledge you can use immediately, learn about different genres, find a new market for your book, elevate your professional effectiveness, meet editors, agents and publishers, become inspired and return home energized.
The Bottom Line: Make a commitment to attend at least one writers’ conference this year. You’ll be glad you did!
Book publicist Scott Lorenz is President of Westwind Communications, a public relations and marketing firm that has a special knack for working with authors to help them get all the publicity they deserve and more. Lorenz works with bestselling authors and self-published authors promoting all types of books, whether it’s their first book or their 15th book. He’s handled publicity for books by CEOs, CIA Officers, Navy SEALS, Homemakers, Fitness Gurus, Doctors, Lawyers and Adventurers. His clients have been featured by Good Morning America, FOX & Friends, CNN, ABC News, New York Times, Nightline, TIME, PBS, LA Times, USA Today, Washington Post, Woman’s World, & Howard Stern to name a few.
Learn more about Westwind Communications’ book marketing approach at http://www.book-marketing-expert.com or contact Lorenz at email@example.com or by phone at 734-667-2090. Follow Lorenz on Twitter @aBookPublicist